The Port Stanley Schoolhouse

The Port Stanley School was in session from 1917 until Lopez Island schools consolidated in 1941. It was then used as a meeting place, hardware store, and hay storage building until it was donated to the Lopez Island Historical Society by Chris & Helena Jones. Restoration was completed in 2003, with outbuilding and parking lot work continuing into 2005.

LIHS now rents the Port Stanley School for community and private events in the summer. It’s a wonderful, warm and light space, suitable for art classes, meetings, concerts, and parties. Contact us at 360.468.2049 or by email at: lopezmuseum@rockisland.com for more information.

Port Stanley Schoolhouse in 2006, after restoration

Port Stanley Schoolhouse in 2006, after restoration

pss-floorplan-sml

Port Stanley Schoolhouse floorplan. Click on the image to view it larger.

Port Stanley Schoolhouse—before restoration

Port Stanley Schoolhouse—before restoration