The Port Stanley School was in session from 1917 until Lopez Island schools consolidated in 1941. It was then used as a meeting place, hardware store, and hay storage building until it was donated to the Lopez Island Historical Society by Chris & Helena Jones. Restoration was completed in 2003, with outbuilding and parking lot work continuing into 2005.
The building exterior and exhibit about the historic schoolhouse and restoration may be viewed anytime. Interior exhibits available for viewing by appointment. LIHS also rents the Port Stanley School for community and private events in the summer. It’s a warm and light space, suitable for art classes, meetings, concerts, and parties.
Contact us at 360.468.2049 or by email at: email@example.com for more information.